Premiers impress again

For the second time in the Alan McEvoy Memorial Trophy round the Ponsonby Premiers cracked 50 points in a match. Last Saturday they inflicted a 52-10 score on College Rifles, crossing for eight tries in the rout.

Ponsonby’s remarkable form sees them as the only unbeaten side in the Premier competition to date in 2018 and signs are encouraging as they look towards a spot in the semi-finals.

The blue and blacks opened the scoring in just the 5th minute of the match against College Rifles when Steven Savali barged over from a lineout close to the try line.

The visitors responded soon after with a handy penalty goal. Having points on the board boosted their confidence and they successfully forced Ponsonby into a period of mistakes and inaccuracies, As a consequence College Rifles strung some phases together, putting Ponsonby on the backfoot and eventually scored a well worked try in the corner, which was converted from wide out.

College Rifles went to 10-7 ahead, and it was a surprise to many that this was the end of their scoring. Ponsonby took charge of the proceedings and scored 45 unanswered points.

In the 28th minute Tilitili Puloka fielded a College Rifles grubber kick, and then returned the kick toward the visitors territory. Puloka cleverly claimed the high kick ahead of the Rifles players, initiating a promising move. Play went wide and some excellent work by Patrick Tausie and John Cooper resulted, followed by a sprint by Campbell Woodmass to the line. William Talataina-Mu again converted.

A few minutes later Ponsonby again attacked. Ponsonby had a scrum feed 10 metres on the College Rifles side of halfway. Play went right to Cooper who ran round his marker, then placed a clever kick toward the Rifles line. A Rifles player lined the kick up, conscious of several Ponsonby men descending upon him. The kick was taken just shy of the line , but was not marked. A handful of Ponsonby players nabbed the Rifles player, and unable to ground the ball he was then forced back over the deadball line. From the ensuing scrum Rocky Khan crossed in the right hand corner.

The scoring in the half wasn’t complete, and right on the stroke of the break Aleks Dabek went agonisingly close to the line, only to be cut short, but on hand was Jamie Lane who had the strength to reach out and score beneath the posts.

Ponsonby started the second half with some real determination, and in just the second minute Tilitili Puloka made some excellent ground, and a kick and chase toward the goal line was won by Patrick Tausie, beating the opposition to the touchdown..

John Cooper displayed some superb skills in the scoring of Ponsonby’s sixth try of the match. Just on the Rifles side of halfway and with the ball in hand, he placed a deft kick over his marker, and had the speed to reclaim the ball and score out wide.

Tausie crossed for his second try at the midway point in the half, before Morrison Siliko completed the scoring in the final five minutes.

Ponsonby now turn their attention to the fourth round when they host Suburbs at Western Springs next Saturday afternoon, the match kicking off at 2.45pm.



Tries: Patrick Tausie 2, Steven Savali, Jamie Lane, Rocky Khan, John Cooper, Campbell Woodmass and Morrison Siliko

Conversions: William Talataina-Mu 2, Rocky Khan 2, Morrison Siliko, John Cooper